Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Day

For Pioneer Day, we had my family over for dinner and for some swimming. We had a great time!





After they all left, we went up to the loft to watch the fireworks from Cottonwood Heights. We talked to the kids about why July 24th was so important. First, it's Pioneer Day and second, it's Grandma Ginny's birthday.



Ginny had just finished radiation for a brain tumor the doctors had found 7 months prior to our wedding. I found it to be absolutely miraculous that she was still with us when we got married. I was very worried about her stamina on the wedding day, but she did quite well and we have been so blessed to have pictures as well as videos of her on our wedding day. I can't say that I knew my mother-in-law as well as my other sister-in-laws but what I did know about her was that she was very, very kind.

I won't ever forget the first time I met her. I had gone over to Todd's parents place to meet him for a date. It was going to be one of our last ones before he left for Oregon to do a PhD program in Biology. She was on her way to a Mormon Tab Choir practice and she stopped to ask who I was and when I told her, she just lit up and was so happy to meet me. I adored her right then and there. She had a big heart. She LOVED Christmas and she LOVED her family and grandkids. Before she passed away, she told Todd that she wanted to be with the family....she just wanted to be around, here on earth with us.

I don't know why her time was limited on this earth or why she just couldn't be "around" but I do know that she was a big part in the success of all her kids. They all knew and felt of her big heart and her willingness to always, always help them in whatever circumstances. Family was a huge part of her focus and that has certainly passed on to her children.

A pioneer is defined as someone to be the first to open or prepare way, one to lead the way for a group. That was Ginny. I know that she lived long enough to prepare her children for life and to set their focus on the importance of families being together in this life and in the life to come. I hope that Todd and I can live up to that tradition.


0 comments: